All submissions are currently over as of July 15, 2007 11:59 PM EST. Any submissions received after this time will no longer be accepted. Three (3) semi finalists will be selected by the Shadowville team and will be announced on August 1, 2007. Thanks to everyone who participated!
Shadowville Productions is giving away $300 cash for a talented vocalist to rap, sing, chant, mumble on our beat — Spill Yo Drank (Produced by Slantize of Shadowville Productions). Contest runs from June 8, 2007 12:00 AM to July 15, 2007 11:59 PM EST. No purchase necessary. By participating in this contest, you agree to be legally bound to the Official Rules and Regulations written below. Please read this page in its entirety carefully.
How to Enter:
1. Download the beat Spill Yo Drank (contest version with sound tag valid for entry only).
2. Write and record to the beat.
3. Submit song to email@example.com (MP3 and WMA media formats only, all others will be rejected) by July 15, 2007 11:59 PM EST. You can also mail your submissions on CD (no computer data format allowed) to:
2277 Coney Island Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11223
Important: Include your real name, stage name, phone number, and e-mail address with your submission so we can contact you if you win!
4. Wait two weeks for three semi-finalists to be announced. Judges include the Shadowville team.
5. Fans vote for the winner over the course of one month.
6. Winner receives $300 cash and two weeks of Sponsored Spot plus Featured option advertising on Shadowville.com (and love!).
In addition to the obvious winning points such as delivery, creativity, structure, and lyrics, here are some miscellaneous tips:
1. Have clean, crisp, professional recording quality.
2. Aim for industry-ready material, something that would be played on the radio.
3. Take very good care in the mixing and engineering work.
All approved contest submissions will receive an exclusive 10% off coupon code to all Shadowville.com leases by e-mail (you must submit using a valid e-mail address that can be responded to). Code expires September 1, 2007.
Official Rules & Regulations:
1. DESCRIPTION OF CONTEST. The Shadowville Rap Contest (”Contest”) is designed to discover the best overall hip hop artist. The Contest is divided into three phases. Phase 1 is the standard submission phase, Phase 2 is the semifinalist judging phase, and Phase 3 is the public voting phase. Phase 1 begins 12:00 AM EST June 8, 2007 and ends 11:59 PM EST July 15, 2007. Phase 2 begins 12:00 AM EST July 16, 2007 and ends 11:59 PM EST July 30, 2007. Phase 3 begins 12:00 AM EST August 1, 2007 and ends 11:59 PM EST August 31, 2007. To enter, entrants must first download the contest version of the instrumental composition “Spill Yo Drank” (”Beat”). Internet access may be required. The contest version must include the official Shadowville sound tag in the intro and outro of the Beat. Entrants will write, rhyme, and record on the Beat and then submit the finished master recording by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org in MP3 or WMA digital format. All other formats will be rejected without notice. You may also send submissions by mail in a standard audio CD format (computer data formats will not be accepted) to Shadowville Inc., Songwriting Contest, 2277 Coney Island Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11223. At the end of Phase 1, the Shadowville team will select three semi-finalist winners during the Phase 2 period, which will be announced some time on August 1, 2007. Phase 3 will then take place in which audience members can listen, review, and vote on one of the three semi-finalists (limited via cookie and IP) on the website. The semi-finalist with the most votes will then become the winner of the $300 grand prize (1 available) and two weeks of Sponsored Spot advertising with the Feature option at www.Shadowville.com (1 available). The winner will be announced some time on September 1, 2007. No purchase necessary.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Open to residents of the United States, the District of Columbia, Canada, and member states of the European Union who are 13 years of age or older at the time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Shadowville Productions, Shadowville Inc., and its subsidiaries and affiliates, participating advertising and promotion agencies and prize suppliers (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
3. PRIZES & APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES: (1) Grand Prize - $300 cash ($300.00 value), Sponsor Spot advertisement including Feature option on Shadowville.com for two weeks ($39.90 value), (2) Semi Finalist Prize - Sponsor Spot advertisement including Feature option on Shadowville.com for one week ($19.95 value).
4. WINNER REQUIREMENTS/OBLIGATIONS. Each entrant agrees and acknowledges that all right, title and interest in and to the entry and any materials or information supplied by entrant to Shadowville Productions in relation to the Competition (collectively the “Materials”), including without limitation any and all intellectual property rights therein, are irrevocably assigned to Shadowville Productions and entrant retains no rights whatsoever specifically including the rights to the underlying musical composition. Shadowville Productions shall own all rights to in and to the master recording therein. Shadowville Productions has the right to edit, adapt, modify, publish, promote, and otherwise use or not use the entry and the information contained therein in any way, in any media throughout the world, without any compensation to the entrant. Entrant agrees to do all things and execute all documentation necessary to effect the assignment and/or waiver herein described. The entrant acknowledges that: (I) Shadowville Productions has no obligation to use, publish or exploit any Materials, including the songs submitted by the Competition winners; (II) OTHER THAN AS SET FORTH HEREIN, SHADOWVILLE PRODUCTIONS OR ITS ASSIGNS MAY COMMERCIALLY EXPLOIT THE MATERIALS WITHOUT LIABILITY OR ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION OF ANY KIND TO THE ENTRANTS. All uploaded works from users shall immediately become the property of Shadowville Productions and those works shall be â€œwork-for-hireâ€ as defined in the US Copyright Code. As such any entrant, who is currently signed to an exclusive recording agreement, should not post songs on this site without the prior written consent of the label to which you are signed. At no time may an entrant use any content, specifically including but not limited to the imported beats, for their own use, whether in a promotional or commercial capacity. All information on the site belongs exclusively to Shadowville Productions and may not be used in any way outside of the confines of the game. Any entrant found to be using such content inconsistent with these rules will be immediately removed from the game and subject themselves to liability at law or in equity. Shadowville Productions will file claims, prosecute and vigorously pursue any and all users that are not in conformity with the rules and regulations of the game. Shadowville Productions will also assist plaintiffs who file civil suits against another entrant for a violation of any intellectual property right protected under US copyright law.
5. GENERAL RULES. Void where prohibited by law. All federal, state and local laws apply. All prize winners must submit an Affidavit of Eligibility certifying that he/she holds all rights to the submission, that the submission has not been previously published, has not won a previous prize or award and that he/she has followed the Official Rules of the Contest. All winners must also provide a Liability/Publicity release form within 7 days of first attempted notification. Noncompliance within this time period or return of any prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate will be selected. In the event a winner is less than the age of majority in his/her state of residence, all required documents must be signed by the winnerâ€™s parent/legal guardian on his/her behalf. No substitution or transfer of prize by winner permitted. Shadowville Productions reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to the Shadowville Productions and its agencies to use winner’s name and/or likeness for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges which are final. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any contest materials and the terms and conditions of theOfficial Rules,the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Shadowville Productions is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest, or in the announcement of the prize.
6. NOTICE TO ENTRANTS. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SHADOWVILLE PRODUCTIONS RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Not responsible for faulty, incorrect or mistranscribed phone transmissions, incorrect announcements of any kind, technical hardware or software failures of any kind including any injury or damage to any person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in or experiencing any materials in connection with the contest, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission that may limit a user’s ability to participate in the contest. Shadowville Productions reserves the right to cancel or modify the online contest if fraud, misconduct or technical failures destroy the integrity of the program; or if a computer virus, bug, or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper administration of the program as determined by Shadowville Productions/judging agency/administrator, in their sole discretion. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted online and the contest will be conducted from among all eligible online contest entries received prior to termination. Any damage made to the Web Site will also be the responsibility of the authorized e-mail account holder of the e-mail address submitted at the time of entry. “Authorized e-mail account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. Proof of submitting entries will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Shadowville Productions. Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or the like methods of participation will void all such submissions by such methods. Shadowville Productions reserves the right to freeze or close an account or to prohibit the participation of an individual/account holder if fraud or tampering is suspected or if the account holder fails to comply with any requirement of participation as stated herein or with any provision in these Official Rules.
7. WINNER. A semi-finalist list will be available at http://www.shadowville.com/winners/ commencing on approximately August 1, 2007 for approximately ten (10) weeks. A final winner will be available at http://www.shadowville.com/winners/ commencing on approximately September 1, 2007 for approximately six (6) weeks.